Joe Hart is furious after believing David Moyes cost him a World Cup place.
West Ham boss Moyes played goalkeeper Hart in only five league games over the last six months of the season, and left him out of the Hammers’ final three matches of the season.
That appears to be the reason behind the Manchester City loanee not making the 23-man England squad that will be announced on Wednesday afternoon.
Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate has effectively ended Hart’s international career after making a heartbreaking phone call to tell him he has not made the cut.
Southgate told the 31-year-old, who has won 75 caps and been first choice for the last three tournaments, in March that he would go to Russia 2018 as his No3.
He said of Hart then: “He’s been really good, I’ve been really straight with him throughout. I spoke to him three weeks ago, before he was in West Ham’s team, and told him he would be in the squad on the basis of what he’s done for us.
“He’s a good leader to have around and he’s understood everything completely. He’s played that role really well. He is everything you would hope a senior player would be.”
However, Hart missing out on the final weeks of the season – he had been in the team and getting man of the match awards before being forced to miss the April 29 game against his parent club – clearly persuaded Southgate to make a shock U-turn.
Hart took the call from Southgate well and wished him good luck for the tournament, despite his obvious disappointment.
Southgate is now set to call up Burnley’s Nick Pope as third choice behind Jordan Pickford of Everton and Stoke’s Jack Butland.
Hart is due to return to City now his second successive season-long loan, after spending last term with Italy’s Torino, is up. He has a year left on his contract and will be allowed to leave for a knock-down fee by Pep Guardiola, who moved him on quickly when appointed in summer 2016.
Southgate made a number of heartbreaking World Cup phone calls on Tuesday, putting some players out of their misery by telling them they were not in the 23 while asking others if they would go on standby.
But several senior stars did not hear from him, and have assumed they are in.
He rang Jack Wilshere to break the bad news to the Arsenal midfielder after his latest injury-hit season.
There was better news for Adam Lallana, with the Liverpool midfielder — who has one Premier League start all campaign because of injuries — expected to be in after talks with the England boss.
Southgate told Hart late on Monday night, after the player went on an end-of-season West Ham club trip.
The plan is to use Wednesday morning to inform more players, but there does not seem to be a set pattern and he has only made calls where he feels necessary.